Main content starts here, tab to start navigating



Gale destroys elm trees planted at the site of the Old North Meeting House.


Wood Lane renamed Richmond Street


The Port Society for the City of Boston founds a Seamen's Bethel "for the moral and religious instruction of seamen" in the old Methodist chapel in Methodist Alley near North Square. The Rev. Edward Thompson Taylor, a former sailor, is hired as preacher.


The Kimble House on Moon Street is demolished, and is replaced by a tobacco warehouse.


Seamen's Bethel (present day Sacred Heart Church) constructed by the Boston Port Society. The Bethel includes a reading room for self-improvement, a school for sailors (navigation) and a union to hear grievances against masters and owners of vessels. The Seamen's Aid Society is founded by Sarah Josepha Hale and a number of other society ladies of Boston to assist the wives and daughters of sailors while their husbands and fathers are away at sea.


Hutchinson mansion, on Garden Court Street, is taken down. Store opened on the ground floor of the Bethel to sell goods made by seamen's wives and daughters.


Free school for seamen's daughters established at the Bethel - academic subjects and needlework are taught.


The firm of James Martin and Son established. The company manufactures awnings, flags, tents, sails and horse goods at its factory aI89-97 Richmond Street.


Irish immigrants, driven out of their homeland by successive years of partial or complete failures of the potato crop, begin to arrive in large numbers. Unitarians build new church on the site of the New Brick (Cockerel) Church. Ward 2 (eastern half of the North End) averages 1j .19 inhabitants per house (10.57 city wide).


Martner's House moves from rented quarters to a new building on North Square on March 24. Founded ten years earlier, the Marirrer's House provides temporary lodging for sailors waiting to ship out. The new building includes a store, smoking and reading room, and a chapel. c. 1848 North End Mission opens at 201 North Street to provide food and clothing for the poor.


Cholera devastates the North End and other sections of the city. Mortality is especially high in the Irish districts, forcing the city to appoint a committee to investigate the causes of the epidemic. The committee recommends tearing down the worst tenements and slums, and cleansing the streets with water piped in from the suburbs.


Jewish immigrants begin settling in the North End.


Many Scandinavians, mostly transient sailors, live in boarding houses in or near North Square.


St. John’s Hall on Moon Street serves as a social club for Irish immigrants.


James Fitzgerald, the uncle of John F. "Honey Fitz', Fitzgerald (grandfather of President John F. Kennedy) purchases a grocery store at 310 North Street.


"Great Gale" of September damages the Old Cockerel Church on Hanover Street, blowing down its gilded rooster weather vane.


A cholera epidemic sweeps through the North End. Portuguese immigrants begin to settle in the neighborhood. Many are from the Azores, a group of islands in the center of the Atlantic Ocean dependent on Portugal.


The Unitarian Church, on the site of the old Cockerel Church, is torn down for the widening of Hanover Street.


The "Cockerel" weathervane purchased by the First Church in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

1870s and 1880s

Italian immigrants, primarily from northern Italy, begin to settle in the North End.


Hotel Sorrenro is constructed at the corner of North Street and North Square (now Rachel Revere Park).


John F. "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald, later the first American born Irish mayor of Boston, works as a tour guide in the North End.


Rev. Soloman E. Breen of the Mariner's House on North Square reports that there were over 140 rum shops in the small area bounded by Hanover, Richmond, North and Clark Streets.


Seamen’s Bethel sold to an Italian religious organization, the Societa Cattolica Italiana di San Marco (Society of St. Mark's).


Matthew Keany, the Irish "boss" of the North End, owns a grocery store at One Prince Street.


The former Seamen’s Bethel remodeled as the Sacred Heart Church.


"Honey Fitz" and his bride, Mary Josephine Hannon, move to 4 Garden Court Street.


Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald, later Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, born at 4 Garden Court Street.


Records indicate that 154 families in the North End are living in one-room flats.

← 1701–1798 1903–1995 →