North Boston settled by Sir Richard Hawkins. A market is established at North Square (also known at various times in the past as Frizel’s, Clark’s and Market Square).
The streets around North Square are the first in Boston to be formally laid out – they become today’s Fleet, Richmond, Cross, and Union Streets.
Second Church (Old North Meeting House) organized. North Square developed.
Church completed. First sermon preached there in June.
Red Lyon tavern established at the corner of Fish Street and Wood Lane (present day North and Richmond Streets). Nicholas Upshall, keeper.
Moon Street resident Captain Thomas Kemble condemned to stand in the stocks for two hours for lewd and unseemly conduct. After a three- year absence, he had “saluted” (kissed) his wife on their doorstep on the Sabbath day.
Great Fire destroys the Old North Meeting House, several warehouses, and forty-five dwellings, including Increase Mather’s parsonage. “Large flakes of fire” are carried as far as Charlestown.
Old North Meeting House rebuilt.
A fine new house constructed on the site of Increase Mather’s parsonage. In 1681 this home is sold to Robert Howard, merchant. Ninety years later, Paul Revere purchases this dwelling. Today it still stands in North Square and is Boston’s oldest residence.
First colonial Custom House established at the northeast corner of Fish Street and Wood Lane (today’s North and Richmond Streets).
Eight residents purchase a fire engine for the North End.
King's Head Inn, on the northwest corner of Fleet and Ship (now North) Streets, burns and is rebuilt.
Fainting and swooning, Mercy Short is tormented by the devil at North Meeting House on a Sunday.
Timothy and Susannah Wadsworth, innkeepers, mark the Red Lyon Inn (where Cirace's Liquor Store now stands) with their initials, "T. S." and the date -- 7694.